Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,374 pages of information and 233,850 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1816 John Breillat proposed a scheme for lighting Bristol by coal gas.
Works were built and mains laid as far as the centre of the City.
By the summer of 1817 the five principal streets of the City had been lit by gas, and there was general demand for further extensions.
1818 The Bristol Gas Light Co. was incorporated; the works, which produced coal-gas, were moved to Avon Street, St. Philip's. Also known as Bristol Gas Co
1820 Shares in the "Bristol Gas Light Concern" were recognized in the effects of someone who had recently died
1823 A rival company was started to supply oil gas, the style of the company being The Bristol and Clifton Oil Gas Co.. Their works were at Canons' Marsh (then known as Lime Kiln Lane). The light was claimed to be four times as brilliant as that from coal-gas.
1836 The price of oil went up and the Bristol and Clifton applied to Parliament to be allowed to use coal
1853 the two Companies amalgamated under the style of the Bristol United Gas Light Co