Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,380 pages of information and 227,858 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Blackpool, St Anne's and Lytham Tramway Company, of 30 Birley Street, Blackpool
1884 Plans were produced for an electric tramway that would connect North and South Shore, Blackpool. The Corporation paid for and maintained the infrastructure, whilst the Blackpool Electric Tramway Company, formed in January 1885 provided the electrical equipment, depot and tramcars.
1885 The tramway opened on the 29th September. The trams collected electrical current from a slot in the centre of the track but the operation was somewhat haphazard due to salt water and sand regularly filling the slot. Nevertheless the system was a commercial success.
1892 the Corporation took over the running of the tramway
1895 First extension began.
By the late 1890s the difficulties with the conduit system led to the conversion of the tramway to the overhead wire system.
1898 The company was registered to take over and improve the undertaking. 
1900 Power was obtained to double the lines and convert to electric traction
1903 The line was reopened in May.
1920 Blackpool Corporation took over the Blackpool and Fleetwood Tramroad Co; for the first time, through running was introduced between South Shore and Fleetwood.
1920s Blackpool also began bus operations.
1933 Introduction of a luxury tram fleet and a matching fleet of streamlined buses
1930s Some tram routes were replaced by buses.
Post WWII there was gradual consolidation
By 1962, the trams were confined to the 11 mile route from Starr Gate to Fleetwood.
Today: the oldest electric street tramway in the world