Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,099 pages of information and 223,032 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Barber, Walker and Co,
One of the oldest in the Midlands, also owned collieries in Yorkshire
A lease was granted to its predecessors by Colonel Hutchinson, of Oliver Cromwell's army.
Early 1700s The Staveley Iron Works was founded.
1786 three blast furnaces were lit, owned by Ward and Lowe.
1850 The furnaces were acquired by Charles Barrow. Subsequently floated as a public company by a group of Manchester capitalists, with Charles Markham as Managing Director and Henry Davis Pochin as Chairman.
c.1870 Owned Eastwood Collieries
The Devonshire Chemical Works was constructed on an extensive scale to utilise the gas from the coke ovens.
The Company owned seven collieries in Derbyshire (of Eastwood Collieries, Nr. Nottingham), with an output of 2,500,000 tons, and employed 7,000 men. It controlled the Doncaster Collieries Association, (of Bentley) with an output of 5,000,000 tons, and other coal property in South Yorkshire.