Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,415 pages of information and 233,868 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Arthur Musker (1862-1930) of C. and A. Musker
1930 Obituary 
ARTHUR HUSKER was the inventor of the Husker-Davison patent huffing crane.
He was apprenticed to Messrs. John H. Wilson and Company of Liverpool from 1878-1883 and was afterwards draughtsman with Messrs. Ransomes, Sims and Jefferies of Ipswich and head draughtsman with Messrs. Emerson, Walker and Thompson Brothers of Cratehead.
He then commenced business with his brother as a partner in the firm of C. and A. Musker, hydraulic engineers of Liverpool, and subsequently practised in London as a consulting engineer.
During the War he was attached to the War Office and held the positions of Deputy Chief Valuer and Compensation Officer (Directorate of Lands) and Engineer and Technical Adviser to the Disposal Board.
He resigned his position on the completion of that work in 1925 and returned to his practice in Victoria Street.
Of recent years he had devoted considerable attention to the subjects of powdered fuel, air heating by waste heat, and domestic heating appliances.
Mr. Musker was born in 1862 and died on 13th November 1930.
He had been a Member of the Institution since 1897.
"THE LATE MR. ARTHUR MUSKER.
We regret to note the death on November 13 last, at his home in Antrim-road, Hampstead, London, N.W.3, of Mr. Arthur Musker, for many years a partner in the firm of Messrs. C. and A. Musker, Limited, Liverpoool. Mr. Musker, who had latterly practised as a consulting engineer in London, and occupied an office in Abbey House, Victoria-street, S.W.1, was born on April 4, 1862. He was educated at The Grange School, Bootle, and afterwards, from 1878 to 1883, served a pupilage of five years under Messrs. J. H. Wilson, Liverpool. Subsequently he became a draughtsman and assistant engineer in the works of Messrs. Ransomes and Company, Ipswich. After serving, for a short time, in a similar capacity with Messrs. Emerson Walker and Company, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, he became a partner in the firm of Messrs. C. and A. Musker, Limited, Liverpool, in 1888. Subsequently he became managing director. During the years which followed he was engaged in the design and manufacture of hydraulic lifting and pressing machinery, steam engines, hydraulic machinery for making concrete paving slabs, electrical lifting appliances and power installations. His firm also manufactured heavy steam motor wagons.
Mr. Musker was responsible for the construction of many important hydraulic installations for docks and railways, including plant for the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board. When the works were built, at Manchester, for the British Westinghouse Company, he designed and supervised the erection of passenger and goods lifts, electric pumps, and other equipment. The firm of Messrs. C. and A. Musker, Limited, closed down in 1911, and Mr. Arthur Musker opened a consulting practice in Northumberland-avenue, London. One of his first works was to design two-ton compensated electric luffing cranes, working on the Musker and Davison system, and constructed by Messrs. Stothert and Pitt, Limited, for the Bristol Docks. Furthermore, 25 three-ton electric jib cranes, supplied by Messrs. Royce, Limited, Manchester, for installation at the New Joint Dock at Hull, opened by H.M. the King in June, 1914, were fitted with Musker-Davison luffing gear. Mr. Musker continued in practice for a long period ; he occupied an office at 22, Northumberland-avenue, London, W.C.2, for some time, hut had recently removed to 301, Abbey House, Victoria-street, London, S.W.1. For many years a member of the Liverpool Engineering Society, he became president in 1902. Mr. Musker became a member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers in 1897. He was made an associate member of the Institution of Civil Engineers on December 1, 1896, and was elected to full membership on April 22, 1902."