Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,369 pages of information and 233,846 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Arthur Atherton (1882-1951)
1952 Obituary 
"ARTHUR ATHERTON was vice-chairman of Herbert Morris, Ltd., Loughborough, crane makers and general engineers, and had been associated with that firm and its predecessor, Herbert Morris and Bastert, for forty-six years. He was born in 1882 and received his theoretical training in engineering at technical schools in Preston, Woolwich, and Bournemouth. His apprenticeship was served with Vickers, Sons and Maxim, Ltd. (now Vickers-Armstrongs, Ltd.), Erith, from 1897 to 1902. He then joined the staff of John Dickinson and Company, Ltd., Hemel Hempstead, paper makers, as a draughtsman, and during his two years' service also acted as assistant to the consulting engineer. His next employment was with the National Gas and Oil Engine Company, Ltd., Ashton-under-Lyne, where he was first engaged as junior draughtsman and later was placed in charge of the drawing office. He began his long association with Herbert Morris and Bastert, and the successor company, in 1905, and at the early age of twenty-three was entrusted with the management of the crane department. Subsequently he held the positions of resident engineer for the firm in Lancashire, and chief outside engineer with a seat on the board of directors. He had been vice-chairman since 1949. Although his chief responsibility throughout his career with the firm was that of sales promotion and management, he found time to form associated companies in France, Belgium, and Canada and to construct and organize works at Niagara Falls and in Paris. He was the founder and chairman of the materials handling group of the Export Council of the Board of Trade. Mr. Atherton, whose death occurred on 14th November 1951, was elected an Associate Member in 1909 and transferred to Membership in 1922. He was also a Companion of the Institution of Electrical Engineers."