Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,124 pages of information and 233,665 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Professor Andrew Jamieson (1849-1912)
1913 Obituary 
PROFESSOR ANDREW JAMIESON, born at Grange, Banffshire, in 1849, died in Glasgow on the 4th December, 1912.
In 1873 he became an assistant to Lord Kelvin and Professor Fleeming Jenkin and from that year until 1880 he was engaged in laying cables in South American, Indian and European waters, and, during the Russo-Turkish War, in the Black Sea.
He was then appointed Principal of the Glasgow College of Science and Art, and subsequently took up consulting work and private teaching.
He was the author of a number of technical books and papers, Professor Jamieson was elected an Associate of The Institution on the 15th January, 1878, and was transferred to the class of Members on the 8th February, 1887.
1913 Obituary 
ANDREW JAMIESON died on 4th December, 1912.
He was born at Grange, Banff shire, in 1849, and was educated at the Gymnasium, Old Aberdeen, and at Aberdeen University.
He obtained his engineering training with Messrs. Hall, Russell & Co. at the Aberdeen Iron Works, and also in the works of the Great North of Scotland Railway Company, where he was employed as a draughtsman.
In 1873, he joined the staff of Sir William Thomson (Lord Kelvin) and Professor Fleeming Jenkin, being engaged in connection with the manufacture and laying of cables off the coast of Brazil for the Western and Brazilian Telegraph Company and the Companhia Telegraphica Platino-Brasiliera.
He subsequently became chief assistant electrician to these companies, but returned in 1876 to this country. He was then sent by the Eastern Telegraph Company to assist at the laying of the Marseilles-Malta cable ; and from 1877 to 1880 took a prominent part in most of the Eastern Telegraph Company's cable expeditions in the Mediterranean, along the east coast of Africa, and off the Indian coast. On some of these expeditions he lectured to the Company's staff on magnetism and electricity and submarine telegraphy.
During the Russo-Turkish war of 1878 he was engaged in linking up the positions where the British warships were stationed with the cable system of the Eastern Telegraph Company, so that the Admiralty could communicate direct with the commanders of the various vessels.
In 1880, he was appointed Principal of the Glasgow College of Science and Arts, becoming Professor of Electrical Engineering of the combined institutions when this College was incorporated in 1886 with the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College. He retired from that position on 30th June, 1899, in order to devote his whole attention to consulting engineering. Later, he organized correspondence classes for instruction in engineering. Although he carried out in his early years much important telegraph work, it is largely as a successful teacher that Professor Jamieson will be remembered.
He was elected an Associate of the Institution in 1873, and a Member in 1876.