Andrew Gibb (1850-1908)
1908 Obituary 
ANDREW GIBB was born in Glasgow on 12th August 1850.
He served an apprenticeship with Messrs. Barclay, Curle and Co. of that city, passing through the various shops and drawing-office with distinction.
After completing his apprenticeship he went to sea as an engineer, and then came to London as assistant manager to Messrs. Ryde and Co., at Millwall.
In 1875 he accepted an invitation to become manager for Messrs. Rait and Gardiner, engineers and ship repairers, of which firm he was afterwards for a long period the managing partner. Their shops are at Cubitt Town, Millwall, the Royal Albert Docks, and Tilbury, with head offices in Fenchurch Street, London. During his connection with the firm its business was greatly extended, but at the cost of his health, which, in spite of a long holiday spent in Algeria, he never really regained.
His death took place at his residence in Blackheath on 10th April 1908, in his fifty-eighth year.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1887. He was also a Member of the Institution of Naval Architects, and a freeman of both London and Glasgow.