Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,408 pages of information and 233,867 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Alfred David Lewis (1837-1899)
1900 Obituary 
ALFRED DAVID LEWIS, born on the 12th August, 1837, received his early education at the City of London School.
From 1852 until 1860 he was employed in the drawing office of the well-known firm of Samuda Brothers, at Poplar, and in the latter year he started on his own account in premises situated at Bow Creek, Blackwall, as a builder of iron barges and small steamboats, and for nine years carried on a considerable business there.
In the year 1869 he designed and constructed a dry dock, 400 feet long, and new premises at East Greenwich, at which the firm of Lewis and Stockwell carried on business as shipbuilders for some years.
Mr. Lewis was a Member of the Shipwrights’ Company, of which he served the office of Master in the year 1887. In conjunction with Sir Edward Reed, Sir William White and others, he took part in a course of lectures arranged by the Company, his subject being "Our Mercantile Marine and Foreign Competition."
He was largely instrumental in organizing, in 1877 and 1882, exhibitions of ships’ models held by the Company; the latter was an international exhibition, and for his services as Honorary Secretary he was presented with a testimonial by the Company.
Mr. Lewis was a Justice of the Peace for the County of London, and, among other honours, was the recipient of the Order of the Golden Lion of Nassau and of the Swedish Order of St. Olaf.
He died at his residence, 34 Leinster Gardens, Hyde Park, on the 30th September, 1899.