Alexandra Dock, Hull
1885 The Alexandra Dock was constructed for the Hull and Barnsley Railway, and was opened in 1885.
1923 Came under the control of the London and North Eastern Railway when the amalgamation of the railways took place in 1923.
The water area is 53 acres, with a dock entrance of 85 feet. There are sixteen quays, which are amply provided with cranes to deal with ships' requirements.
The Alexandra Dock remains in use to this day, though rail connection was severed following its closure during the 1980s. The embankment line built to carry traffic from the Neptune Street depot to Alexandra Dock, remains in use, albeit mostly singled, as the sole rail access to the King George Dock and Salt End oil terminal in east Hull. A small section was re-opened from Drax power station through Carlton Towers, in the 1970s, and MGR trains continue to use this line.
The wonderful steam-powered Ouse swing bridge over the River Ouse was dismantled in the 1970s.