Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,411 pages of information and 233,867 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Alexander De Courcy Scott

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 05:53, 14 April 2015 by Ait (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Major-General Alexander De Courcy Scott (1834-1899)

1900 Obituary [1]

ALEXANDER DE COURCY SCOTT, Major-General Royal Engineers retired, died in South Kensington on the 16th October, 1899.

Born on the 4th February, 1834, he entered the Corps of Royal Engineers in June, 1853, and was at once engaged in the design and construction of barracks and fortifications.

He served in the Crimean War and took part in the siege of Sebastopol, receiving at the close of the war the medal with clasp and the Turkish medal.

On returning to England he was employed on the Ordnance Survey at Southampton until May, 1867, when he joined the Madras Public Works Department, his first work there being in connection with the water-supply of Madras.

In August, 1870, he was appointed Under Secretary to Government, which post he held until March, 1877, when he became Superintendent of the Revenue Survey Department.

In October, 1879, he was appointed Executive Officer of the Ordnance Survey of Great Britain, and in 1882 he was retired from the Corps of Royal Engineers with the honorary rank of Major- General under the Royal warrant of 1877.

General Scott was appointed in May, 1885, a temporary Engineering Inspector to the Local Government Board, and in January, 1887, Water Examiner to the Metropolis under that Board, which post he held until his death. In all he undertook he was energetic and thorough, and his amiable and thoughtful disposition gained him many friends.

General Scott was elected an Associate of the Institution on the 7th February, 1888.

See Also


Sources of Information