Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 115342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Difference between revisions of "Alexander Brown Portus"

From Graces Guide
(Created page with "Alexander Brown Portus (1834-1905) ---- '''1906 Obituary <ref> Institution of Civil Engineers Minutes of the Proceedings </ref> ---- == See Also == <what-links-here/> ...")
 
 
Line 2: Line 2:


----
----
'''1906 Obituary <ref> [[Institution of Civil Engineers]] Minutes of the Proceedings </ref>
'''1906 Obituary <ref>[[1906 Institution of Civil Engineers: Obituaries]]</ref>


ALEXANDER BROWN PORTUS, born on the 21st February,
1834, at Black Creek, Hunter River, New South Wales, received his
training as an engineer and millwright under his father, [[John Portus|Mr. John Portus]], with whom, after undertaking a voyage to Europe and
America in 1855, to make himself acquainted with engineering
pmctice in those countries, he was engaged in the design and erection
of various classes of machinery until 1865.


In the latter year, he
entered the Public Works Department of New South Wales, and
after carrying out dredging work on the Hunter River and at
Newcastle, he was appointed in 1880 Superintending Engineer of
all dreging-plant in New South Wales, at first under the late
[[Edward Orpen Moriarty|Mr. E. O. Moriarty]], and subsequently under [[Cecil West Darley|Mr. C. W. Darley]].


He retained this appointment until his retirement, owing to
failing health, in 1904. During his occupation of the position of
Superintendent, considerable additions were made to the comparatively
small fleet of dredging-machines which the State possessed in
1880, and much valuable lanwd as reclaimed and other improvements
effected. On his initiative centrifugal-pump dredging was introduced
into the Colony, and the work done was described by Mr. Portus in
Papers read before the Royal Society of Kew South Wales. Eighteen
powerful suction dredgers were also added, and have greatly reduced
the cost of removing sand. The twin-screw hopper dredgers built
to his design, drawing only 54 feet of water and capable of
steaming and dredging at the same time, proved an unqualified
success in the rough water on the sandy bars of the rivers on the
coast of New South Wales.
Many improvements in connection with
dredging were devised by Mr. Portus, and the gimbal joints and
rings for connecting pipes on pontoons, extensively used in the
Colony, were introduced by him. His skill and ability were
recognized not only by the Government of New South Wales, but
also by other States and private bodies who wailed themselves of his professional services.
He died at his residence, Moore Park, Sydney, on the 8th October, 1905, in his seventy-second year.
Mr. Portus was elected an Associate Member of the Institution on the 7th February, 1888.
----
----


Line 17: Line 54:
{{DEFAULTSORT: Portus}}
{{DEFAULTSORT: Portus}}
[[Category: Biography]]
[[Category: Biography]]
[[Category: Births 1830-1839]]
[[Category: Deaths 1900-1909]]
[[Category: Institution of Civil Engineers]]

Latest revision as of 08:52, 12 June 2015

Alexander Brown Portus (1834-1905)


1906 Obituary [1]

ALEXANDER BROWN PORTUS, born on the 21st February, 1834, at Black Creek, Hunter River, New South Wales, received his training as an engineer and millwright under his father, Mr. John Portus, with whom, after undertaking a voyage to Europe and America in 1855, to make himself acquainted with engineering pmctice in those countries, he was engaged in the design and erection of various classes of machinery until 1865.

In the latter year, he entered the Public Works Department of New South Wales, and after carrying out dredging work on the Hunter River and at Newcastle, he was appointed in 1880 Superintending Engineer of all dreging-plant in New South Wales, at first under the late Mr. E. O. Moriarty, and subsequently under Mr. C. W. Darley.

He retained this appointment until his retirement, owing to failing health, in 1904. During his occupation of the position of Superintendent, considerable additions were made to the comparatively small fleet of dredging-machines which the State possessed in 1880, and much valuable lanwd as reclaimed and other improvements effected. On his initiative centrifugal-pump dredging was introduced into the Colony, and the work done was described by Mr. Portus in Papers read before the Royal Society of Kew South Wales. Eighteen powerful suction dredgers were also added, and have greatly reduced the cost of removing sand. The twin-screw hopper dredgers built to his design, drawing only 54 feet of water and capable of steaming and dredging at the same time, proved an unqualified success in the rough water on the sandy bars of the rivers on the coast of New South Wales.

Many improvements in connection with dredging were devised by Mr. Portus, and the gimbal joints and rings for connecting pipes on pontoons, extensively used in the Colony, were introduced by him. His skill and ability were recognized not only by the Government of New South Wales, but also by other States and private bodies who wailed themselves of his professional services.

He died at his residence, Moore Park, Sydney, on the 8th October, 1905, in his seventy-second year.

Mr. Portus was elected an Associate Member of the Institution on the 7th February, 1888.



See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information