Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,380 pages of information and 227,858 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Adam Hunter (1869-1933) of Sir William Arrol and Co
1869 August 23rd. Born at Crossford, Fife.
Engineer for the Southwark Bridge
Major part of his work concerned road and rail bridges but other significant projects include industrial process buildings and giant cantilever cranes. He also worked on lock and dock gates, viaducts and power stations.
1933 November 1st. Died at Rutherglen.
"THE LATE MR. ADAM HUNTER.
The death of Mr. Adam Hunter, which occurred on November 1, at his home in Rutherglen, Glasgow, removes from our midst a civil engineer who was responsible for the construction of numerous bridges and other structures both in this country and abroad. Mr. Hunter, who was associated with Messrs. Sir William Arrol and Company, Limited, Bridgeton, Glasgow, practically all his life, and had been chief engineer and a director of the firm for many years, was born on August 23, 1869. In 1886 he entered upon a training period of three years with Messrs. Tancred, Arrol and Company, Queensferry, the contractors for the Forth Bridge, which had been begun in January, 1883, and was inaugurated on March 4, 1890. At the end of his training period, Mr. Hunter accompanied the late Mr. J. E. Tuit to London as assistant on the erection of the Tower Bridge, Messrs. Sir William Arrol having been awarded the contract for the steelwork. He was subsequently engaged on work in connection with the Shoreham Viaduct for the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway, and was also employed on the erection of swing bridges at the London Docks. Mr. Hunter was appointed chief assistant engineer to Messrs. Sir William Arrol and Company in 1895, a position he continued to occupy for some eleven years, during which he was responsible for the calculations, estimates and subsequent erection of many new works. He designed road bridges for Durban, Aberfeldy, Nittingshill, Aldershot, and Barnstaple, and superintended the erection of the last two. He also designed the steelwork for power stations, workshops and other structures, and carried out the construction of cranes at Dalmuir and Clydebank.
Mr. Hunter was appointed acting chief engineer to his firm in 1904 and went to Egypt in November, 1905, and remained there for five months as technical adviser in connection with the design and construction of three road bridges over the Nile at Cairo. At this time he was also responsible for the design of railway bridges on the Suakim-Berber Railway, Egypt, workshop buildings at Polmadie and Tranmere Bay, further cranes at Clydebank, and other works. Final promotion to chief engineer to Messrs. Sir William Arrol came in 1906, and during the years which followed Mr. Hunter was engaged on the design and erection of workshops for his own firm, the Coventry Ordnance Works, and the North British Locomotive Works, crane equipment at Belfast and Newcastle, two hydraulic swing bridges at Swansea, the Wear bridge, Sunderland, Blackfriars Bridge, London, and a number of other structures. He subsequently became a director of Messrs. Sir William Arrol, but resigned his seat, on account of ill health, in September, 1932, retaining, however, the position of consulting engineer to the firm. A former student member of the Institution of Civil Engineers, he became an associate member on December 3, 1895, and a full member on April 20, 1909. In collaboration with Mr. F. C. Buscarlet, he presented a contribution to the Proceedings of the Institution entitled “ Queen Alexandra Bridge over the River Wear, Sunderland,” for which the two authors were awarded a Telford Premium in April, 1910. Mr. Hunter became a member of the Institution of Engineers and Shipbuilders in Scotland in October, 1907, a member of the Institution of Structural Engineers in 1923, and a member of the Junior Institution of Engineers in February, 1891. He had served on the Council of the two last-named societies. He was also a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers."