Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,459 pages of information and 233,880 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Note: An 1839 billhead shows the name as Acramans, Morgan & Compy.
The Acraman family were involved in a variety of businesses. Their first foundry was at Bathurst Basin, Bristol. In 1829 they opened the 'Bristol Iron Works' in nearby St Phillips. They had a shipyard in Bedminster, Bristol. Acramans, Morgan & Co went bankrupt in 1842. Prior to becoming Acramans, Morgan & Co., the business was called D., E. and A. Acraman, and then W. D. and W. E. Acraman 
1839 Bristol - St. Philip’s: '.... our readers would gratified by the symptoms of activity and improvement apparent in that neighbourhood, where the Cotton Works and the Railways are giving new character to the locality. The arches of the Great Western Railway, carried across the street near the Gas Works, are rapidly approaching completion, and the ground for the terminus is being rapidly cleared. Wednesday morning considerable interest was excited by the launching from Messrs. Acraman’s works, on the banks of the adjacent river, of a large and well-constructed floating bridge 70 feet long, and 60 feet wide, intended for Portsmouth, and which will be towed to its destination. The new Bridge, now in the course of erection, will also, by affording easier and quicker means of communication, accelerate the progress this suburb is making in value and importance.'
1839 'The spirited house of the Messrs. Acraman are about to enlarge the engineering branch of their trade, already very extensive and of high repute. They have taken into partnership Thomas Holroyd, Esq., late of the firm of Ferguson, Brothers, and Co., of Calcutta, and William Morgan, Esq., of London, Engineer ; and the designation of the firm of this particular department will, in future, be "Acraman, Morgan, and Co." Mr. Morgan is a gentleman of known experience, and under his able direction the energies of the concern are, we understand, about to be directed to the manufacture, with other machinery, of the most powerful engines, as well as for marine as for railroad purposes. They have also, we have heard, taken the ground beyond Cllft-house, directly facing the course of the river,which they intend as a yard for the building of iron steam ships. Employment will thus be created for a great number of hands. We cordlally wish the concern all success— Bristol Journal.'
1838-42 See 1839-1842 Marine Engine Makers for details of engines made for the Admiralty
1842 The Bristol Iron Works advertised for sale by order of the assignees of Acramans, Morgan & Co., with extensive works situated in the Parish of St Phillip and Jacob (forges, patternmaking, sawmills, foundries, machine shops, millwrights), at Bathurst Basin (chains, anchors, pumps, etc), and a shipyard at Bedminster, with slips and graving dock, and a large family residence in ornamental grounds, adjoining the shipyard.
1850 'BATHURST BASIN CHAIN AND ANCHOR WORKS, BRISTOL, Part of the Estate of Messrs. Acramans, Morgan, and Co. MR. EDWIN NAISH Will, with the sanction of Commissioner Mr. Serjeant Stephen, SELL BY AUCTION, On TUESDAY, the 24th September, 1850, and following days, commencing at Eleven o'Clock each Morning, until the whole is disposed of, ALL THE MACHINERY, PLANT, and TOOLS, and other Chattels and Materials, on the above Premises, Comprising, amongst other matters,a 14-horse power high-pressure Steam Engine; an 8-horse ditto ditto; an independent foundation plate, 1 Hydraulic Chain proving Machine, worked either by steam power or hand; a great length of shafting with Driving Gear; Plummer Blocks; Iron Brackets and Hangdowns; Blacking Mill; Blowing Pans; Iron and Wood Cranes; Vertical Hammer; Turning Lathes; Screw- Machine; Drills ; Boring Mill; Zinc Bending Machine; Cupola Ladles; Chain and Shackle Fires and Forges; Pumps; Grindstones; Chain and Smiths’ Tools; Bellows; Vices; Blocks and Troughs ; Screw Cramps; Beam and Scales, on portable carriage; Trollies, &c.; and a multiplicity of other tools...'
Acraman's had a yard built in St Philip's Marsh near the Feeder Canal in 1839, where they built chain-propelled floating bridges for the Gosport-Portsmouth crossing which were too wide to pass through the floating harbour. The next year Acraman's opened a second more expansive yard in Bedminster, a well equipped yard which built a number of early steam ships. The first saw occasional shipbuilding until 1874, but the second passed to John Payne Ltd in 1862 and as the Vauxhall Yard launched dozens of small vessels directly into the New Cut, until they closed in 1925.
The precise location of the St Philip's Marsh yard has not been identified, but reference to the 1902 O.S. map shows that the Feeder Canal joins the River Avon near the bridge over the River Avon just south of Temple Meads Station.
The Vauxhall Yard is clearly shown on the 1902 O.S. map. It was on the south bank of the River Avon ('New Cut'), close to Clift House Tannery and Clift House Hospital. On the opposite bank was Underfall Yard on a narrow piece of land separating the Avon from the Floating Harbour's Baltic Wharf. The site is now occupied by Bristol Metal Spraying and Protective Coatings Ltd (and possibly Thomas Ware and Sons (Tanners)?). No evidence of the slipway is visible (see photo).
The slipway is visible on the right hand (southern) bank of the River Avon in a 1929 aerial photograph of Cumberland Basin. See detail from photo, above. Underfall Yard is on the opposite (northern) side of the river