Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,019 pages of information and 231,556 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Note: This is a sub-section of AEC.
1954 Model introduced.
The AEC Regent V was a front-engined double-decker bus built by the Associated Equipment Company between 1954 and 1969.
The Regent V had AEC's own frontal design and concealed radiator as standard, It was fitted with an AEC engine or Gardner 6LW engine, coupled to a synchromesh or AEC Monocontrol semi- or fully-automatic gearbox.
It had been purchased by a number of bus operators in the UK outside London (London Transport bought the Routemaster during that period). The chassis had also been sold to Ireland, Portugal, some African and Arab countries and also Hong Kong. Kowloon Motor Bus, the sole operator of AEC Regent Vs in Hong Kong, received a total of 210 Regent Vs with extra long wheelbase in 1960s, they had 34-foot-long bodywork (longer than contemporary British standard of 30 feet) supplied by British Aluminium Company or Metal Sections.
In 1968, the British Labour government introduced the Bus Grant which led to the British front-engined double-deckers being phased out.
The last AEC Regent V entered service in 1969.
1981 Production ceased. Around 2,600 were built.