Yule and Wilkie
1840s Mr John Yule started in business on his own account in Parliamentary Road.
After a time he was joined by Mr John Wilkie, the firm then becoming Yule & Wilkie. For a while they did a large amount of work in the construction of iron houses for shipment to Australia during the early portion of the gold fever period.
As business increased, moved to larger premises in Port Dundas Road, employing up to 250 hands.
c.1849 Supplied a 10-ton dockside steam crane for Springfield Quay, Glasgow. The engine and boiler were fixed, power being transmitted by a single horizontal shaft to a vertical shaft on the crane's axis. The wooden jib was 32 ft long. A similar crane had been supplied to Troon Harbour.
c.1860 The business failed and the firm broke up.
Sources of Information
- The Practical Mechanic's Journal, 1849, pp.108-9