Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,159 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Ynysfach Ironworks, Merthyr Tydfil
Built in 1801 for Richard Crawshay by Thomas Jones of Merthyr Tydfil, to the designs of Watkin George. The ironworks had two furnaces, which were the second in Merthyr Tydfil to have steam-powered air blast machinery. This gave the works an advantage over the nearby Cyfarthfa Ironworks, which depended on water power for the blast.
1830 Two more blast furnaces and a new southern, engine house built, and the northern engine house rebuilt
1873 Works closed during a strike
1884 The Ynysfach furnaces were reconditioned and held in reserve, following Cyfarthfa’s conversion to steel
The southern engine house was demolished some time after 1905 and one chimney stack (belonging to the northern boiler house) was demolished in 1949
One of the blowing engine houses has been restored as the Ynysfach Iron Heritage Centre, with the impressive remains of the blast furnaces alongside.