Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,101 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The partnership was dissolved in 1811 and each started their own business.
The business was based in Nottingham Buildings, Brunswick Street, and known as Yateses and Cox. The Yates brothers provided the sum of £15,000. This included money which was lent to the partnership by their father the Reverend John Yates. George Lissant Cox provided the sum of £1,000.
In 1816 it sold £45,527 worth of goods and made a net profit of £538. The majority of its customers were from Liverpool, Lancashire, Cumbria, North Wales, Cheshire, Scotland, and Birmingham. They also had customers from as far afield as Dublin and New York.
By 1827 the two brothers had dropped out of the business and it became Yates and Cox. The articles of partnership for 1827 reveals that Richard Vaughan Yates provided £15,000 and George Lissant Cox £3,000.
1840 George Frederick Cox, a son of George Lissant Cox, was made a partner and the business became Yates, Cox and Cox.
1846 Another son, Nathaniel Cox, was made partner and it became Yates, Cox and Co.
1856 Richard Vaughan Yates provided £15,000, George Lissant Cox £7,000, George Frederick Cox £1,000 and Nathaniel Cox £500.
1854 Richard Vaughan Yates retired and the partnership was dissolved on 31 December 1854.
1855 Partnership change. '... the Partnership heretofore subsisting between the undersigned, Richard Vaughan Yates, George Lissant Cox, George Frederick Cox, and Nathaniel Cox, in the firm of Yates, Cox, and Co., as Iron Merchants and Nail Manufacturers, Brunswick-street and Oriel-street, in Liverpool, was dissolved by lapse of time on the 3lst December, 1854. The business will in future be curried on by G. L. Cox, G. F. Cox, and Nathl. Cox, the undersigned, in the same premises, under the firm of George Lissant Cox and Sons...'
The business was continued by George Lissant Cox, George Frederick Cox, and Nathaniel Cox as George Lissant Cox and Sons, but it failed in c.1860.