Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,877 pages of information and 225,311 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Woodhall Junction railway station (previously called Kirkstead Station) is a former station in Woodhall, Lincolnshire. It served as a junction where several different lines met, none of which are still open.
The station opened in 1848 as part of the "Lincolnshire Loop Line" between Lincoln and Boston which largely followed the course of the River Witham.
A branch line via Woodhall Spa to Horncastle opened in 1855, and the "New Line" which opened in 1913, left the Loop Line just south of Woodhall Junction and cut across the fens to Midville allowing faster journey times to Skegness.
The renaming of the station from Kirkstead to Woodhall Junction in 1922 was an attempt to increase the profile of Woodhall Spa as a holiday destination.
The station closed to passengers in 1970 when the Lincolnshire Loop Line via Midville was closed (the route via Tattershall to Boston had closed in 1963) and finally closed in 1971 when the Goods Service between Lincoln - Bardney - Woodhall Junction and Horncastle was withdrawn - the last line to stay open through the station.
It is now a private residence, but the platforms and former goods yard are clearly still visible.