Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 128,827 pages of information and 203,450 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Note: This is a sub-section of Wolseley.
1895 The origins of the company as an automobile brand was in about 1895-96 when 30 year old Herbert Austin, then employed as a works manager at the Wolseley Sheep Shearing Machine Co, became interested in engines and automobiles. During the winter of 1895-96 he made his own version of a design by Leon Bollee that he had seen in Paris. Later he found that another British group had bought the rights so Austin had to come up with a design of his own.
1897 The second Wolseley car, the Wolseley Autocar No. 1 was revealed. It was a three wheeled design (one front, two rear) featuring independent rear suspension, 2-hp flat-twin mid-engine and back to back seating for two adults. It was not successful and although advertised for sale, none were sold.
1897 January. Image and details of the motorised tricycle 'dog-cart'.
1899 The third Wolseley car, the four wheeled Wolseley Voiturette followed.
1900 January. Details of their car.
1900 A further four wheeled car was made, this time with a steering wheel instead of a tiller.
1901 The first Wolseley cars sold to the public were based on the "Voiturette", but production did not get under way until 1901, by which time the company had changed hands. In that year the automobile division was spun off (with financing from Vickers) as an independent concern in Adderley Park, Birmingham. Herbert Austin managed the new Wolseley company for a short time before resigning to form his own concern, the Austin Motor Co, in 1905.
1902 February. Details of the 20-hp car.
1902 June. Details of the 7.5-hp car in addition to the existing 5-hp and 10-hp.
1902 June. Details of the 45-hp racer.
1903 Introduced the 6-hp model.
1904 April. Details of the Gordon-Bennett 96-hp racer.
1905 Produced 6 h.p., 12 h.p., 15 h.p., 18 h.p., 25 h.p., 32 h.p. and 70 h.p. models of car. These were constructed by Wolseley. 
1905 March. Details of the Gordon-Bennett racing car.
1905 September. Details of the Wolseley T.T. car.
1905 November. Details of their 6hp, 8hp and 12hp cars.
1906 Produced 6 h.p single-cylinder (recently discontinued), 8 h.p twin-cylinder and 12 h.p four-cylinder models. 
1906 June. Details of the 32hp Siddeley car.
1908 November. Details of the 25-30-hp Siddeley car shown at Olympia.
1910 August. Details of the 50-hp car built for the Queen Mother.
1910 October. Details of the 16-20hp car.
1910 October. Details of the ars for 1911: 12-16hp, 16-20hp, 20-28hp, 24-60hp, 30-34hp and the 50hp.
1911 July. Details of the 50-hp six-cylinder car.
1911 October. Details. Variations of existing models 12-16hp, 16-20hp, 20-28hp and the 50hp and a new 35-40hp four-cylinder car.
1912 They were commissioned by the Russian Count Peter P. Schilovski, a lawyer and member of the Russian royal family, to build the Schilovski Gyrocar.
1913-1917 For a list of the models and prices of Cars see the 1917 Red Book
1913 April. Advert for their cars and states 'Proprietors: Vickers Ltd'. 
1913 July. Details of the 30-40hp six-cylinder car.
1913 Introduced the 'Stellite' model.
1913 November. Details of the cars for next year: 16-20hp (4), 24-30hp (6) and 30-40hp (6).
1914 Builders of motor cars, motor boats etc. Specialities: "Wolsley" auto-cars and other motor vehicles for all industrial purposes including omnibuses, cabs, landaulettes, lorries, vans, ambulance waggons; also marine engines from 12 to 500 hp, motor yachts' pinnaces, motor launches etc. Employees 4,000. The proprietors of the company are Vickers Ltd. 
1914 New light car, Stellite, made in conjunction with Electric, Ordnance and Accessories Co, another part of the Vickers company. Growing business in motor launches, marine engines, and commercial motor vehicles.
1914 October. Details of the 16-20hp (4), 24-30hp (6) and the 30-40hp (6) cars.
1918 Wolseley began a joint venture in Tokyo, Japan with Ishikawajiama Ship Building and Engineering. The first Japanese-built Wolseley car rolled off the line in 1922. After World War II, the Japan venture reorganized, renaming itself Isuzu Motors in 1949. Today, Isuzu is part of General Motors.
Wolseley grew quickly selling upmarket cars, and even opened a lavish showroom, Wolseley House, in Piccadilly (next door to the the Ritz Hotel, now housing a restaurant called The Wolseley).
1920 November. Exhibited at the Motor Car Show at Olympia and the White City with 10, 15 and 20 hp models. The larger model had a six-cylinder engine. 
Post WWII: Morris and Wolseley production was consolidated at Cowley, and badge engineering took hold. The first post-war Wolseleys, the similar 4/50 and 6/80 models, were based on the Morris Oxford MO. Later, Wolseleys shared with MG and Riley common bodies and chassis, namely the 4/44 and 6/90, which were closely related to the MG Magnette ZA/ZB and the Riley Pathfinder respectively. Other badge engineering exploits followed at BMC.
1957 The Wolseley 1500 was based on the planned successor to the Morris Minor. The next year, the Wolseley 15/60 debuted the new mid-sized BMC saloon design penned by Pinin Farina. It was followed by similar vehicles from five marques within the year.
The Wolseley Hornet was based on the Austin and Morris Mini with a booted body style which was shared with Riley as the Elf. Finally, a version of the Austin 1800 was launched in 1967 as the Wolseley 18/85.
1958 Advert on this page for the Wolseley Six-Ninety. 
1963 Motor Show exhibitor. Showed 6/110, 16/60, Fifteen-hundred and Hornet.