Wishaw Iron Works
Wishaw Iron Works at Wishaw
1858 The Wishaw Ironworks was opened by Robert Bell with 3 blast furnaces using ironstone from a pit on the opposite side of Wishaw main street.
1861 Iron works closed.
1864 Taken over by the Glasgow Iron Co, from St Rollox, who also operated a malleable iron works in Milton Street, Motherwell.
1870s The Wishaw ironstone was poorer quality and was exhausted by the 1870s, after which ironstone was sourced from Carluke and from Liberton and Lasswade, near Edinburgh.
1879 John Williams built 3 open hearth furnaces at Exelsior in Wishaw
For the number of blast furnaces, see Lanarkshire Iron Works
Sources of Information
-  Clydebridge Steel Work history