Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,124 pages of information and 233,665 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1857 'TO PRINTERS AND OTHERS REQUIRING A FIRST-CLASS STEAM ENGINE: ON SALE, at Winstanley and Kelly's, Engineers. 178, Smith down-lane, an improved self-contained 2½ to 3 horse power ENGINE. Also, one 3 to 4 horse DITTO ; two 7 horse DITTO, and many Engines from which patterns may seen at work in this town, by applying to the above address.'
1863 'The Introduction of Steam Power on Board Sailing Ships. — The large new clipper ship Mistress of the Seas, Captain Orkney, is now loading at the Victoria Wharf, Birkenhead, for Bombay. This ship is supplied with the most complete apparatus for working ships by steam power yet introduced. In the deckhouse is placed an oscillating reversible steam engine, which is attached to the boiler, the boiler being placed in a tank separating the furnace from the deck, and heating and storing the water required for the engine, &c. Immediately opposite to the engine, and over the main hatch, is placed a winch or hoist, which either can be worked by power or hand if required. This winch will discharge 300 tons of cargo in one day out of the main hatch, a ship of 1200 tons having been discharged in four working days by its aid ; one single lever hoisting, lowering, and breaking the goods. Before the engine, and in the deckhouse, is placed a strong shaft worked by powerful spur wheels, the ends of which come through the house, and on which gipsies are fixed, and from these gipsies all very heavy work is done, such as lifting out heavy machinery, getting up the anchor, hauling the ship, setting up rigging, sails, &c. On the port side of the house is placed the condensing apparatus, which, by the aid of steam from the boiler, distils about 250 gallons of water per day, and which water is as fresh and sweet as spring water. On the after side of the mainmast are placed four pumps — two midship and two bilge pumps. A V or rope wheel is fixed on the engine shaft, and a corresponding one on the pumps. By applying a rope to these wheels the pumps are put in motion, one or all, as may be required. These pumps are worked on a novel principle, four cams or heart wheels being placed on a short bar of square iron, which by means of roller levers gives motion to the pumps in the most simple manner, and with nice regularity of action. The pump for washing the deck, &c., is also worked by the engine ; the whole occupying very little space. The importance of the introduction of steam power into large ships cannot be overstated, as many millions worth of property and hundreds of lives, which have been lost to the world, would have been saved had the ships been provided with efficient steam engine, pumps, &c. Irrespective of this, there is an actual saving in having them on board ; they do away with the necessity of having separate winches, capstans, deck pumps, and tanks or barrels for water ; the ship can be worked with greater safety and with fewer hands ; the cargo can be discharged or taken in in less than half the time ; and the captain and crew are always confident that in any emergency at sea they have a means at hand to combat it. The quantity of coal required is about one cwt. for 100 tons of cargo discharged. The engine referred to was made by Messrs. Winstanley and Kelly, Windsor, Liverpool. — Liverpool Mercury.' 
Note: Joseph Kelly was charged with rape in 1865.