Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,717 pages of information and 232,164 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Wilsontown Iron Works of Carnwath (1779 - 1842)
1780-81 The iron works were erected by the Wilson brothers, natives of the district, who had been, for a long time, settled in London as Swedish merchants
An extensive forge was added to the blast furnaces and foundry
The business became solely in the charge of John Wilson, Senior
1804 Erection of a rolling mill
The business was taken over by Messrs Dixon of Govan. At their Wilsontown Iron Works it was discovered that the local hard 'splint' coal could be used directly in the furnace without previous coking using John Condie's invention of the spiral tuyere; this was the first successful use of coal direct in blast furnace practice.
1825 'At Calder iron-works there are four blast furnaces; in Wilsontown, two; in Carron, five; Clyde, two; Shotts, one; Clelland, two; Muirkirk, three; Devon, two. These furnaces make, on an average, thirty-five tons of iron week each, when working.'