Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,106 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1968 Closed to rail traffic
The bridge was designed by Mr J Triffitt, under the superintendence of Mr W J Cudworth of the North Eastern Railway. Mr W McD’Malt(?) was the resident engineer on the work, and Mr H Bruff assisted in the preparation of drawings and in the superintendence of the work. The chief contractors for the work were Harman and Langton, of Hull, and the subcontractors for the steelwork were John Butler and Co of Stanningley, Leeds, who entrusted the erection to Mr R Woods, of Westminster.
The machinery for turning the bridge and withdrawing the wedges was designed by Mr Wilson Worsdell, whose contractors were Cowans, Sheldon and Co. The signalling and overhead masts were supplied by McKenzie and Holland, Worcester.
The above information, together with excellent photos and drawings, is taken from the 'Forgotten Relics' website, being transcribed from 'Engineering', 31st January 1908.