Originally a structure with timber arches on stone piers, the timber was replaced with wrought iron in 1869
1839 Built for the Newcastle and North Shields Railway and designed by John Green and his son Benjamin Green. The viaduct was of laminated timber construction on the Wiebeking system and supported by tall stone pillars, and earned Benjamin the 'Telford Medal' from the Institution of Civil Engineers.
1867-69 It was rebuilt in iron to the designs of Thomas Elliot Harrison with great care being taken to replicate their original form.
See Ouseburn Viaduct