Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,188 pages of information and 227,783 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Williams, Deacon and Co

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

1771 The private bank of Raymond, Williams, Vere, Lowe and Fletcher was established in Cornhill, City of London

Subsequently moved to Birchin Lane nearby.

It traded by a number of names:

  • 1771 Raymond, Williams, Vere, Lowe and Fletcher 1771-1778
  • 1778 Lowe, Vere, Williams and Jennings
  • 1778 Lowe, Vere and Williams
  • 1785 Vere and Williams
  • 1788-89 Vere, Williams, Son, Wilkinson and Drury
  • 1790 Williams, Son, Wilkinson and Drury
  • 1792-99 Williams, Son and Drury
  • 1797-1807 Williams, Son, Drury and Moffat
  • 1808-9 Williams, Son, Drury, Moffat and Burgess
  • 1810-11 Williams, Son, Moffat and Burgess
  • 1812-14 Williams, Son, Moffat, Burgess and Lane
  • c.1815-22 Williams, Williams and Burgess
  • c.1822-25 Williams, Williams, Burgess and Williams

1825 the bank stopped payment following the collapse of fellow London bankers Pole, Thornton and Co.

1826 The bank was reformed with new partners the following year, under the name Williams, Deacon, Labouchere and Co.

The bank changed its name again in later years:

1890 it was taken over by the Manchester and Salford Bank Ltd, for which it had acted as London agent since 1836, to form Williams Deacon and Manchester and Salford Bank. The head office of the merged bank was established in Birchin Lane, City of London, in order to retain Williams, Deacon & Co’s membership of the London Clearing House.

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  • [1] RBS Heritage