William Wilkinson Squire (1854-1915), Engineer of the Bristol Docks
1915 Obituary 
WILLIAM WILKINSON SQUIRE, Engineer of the Bristol Docks, died at Clifton, Bristol, on the 7th January, 1915.
Born in London on the 11th August, 1854, he obtained his practical training under the late Mr. G. F. Lyster, M.Inst.C.E., Engineer to the Mersey Dock Estate, remaining as Assistant Engineer until 1879.
He was next employed as assistant to Mr. R. A. Marillier, M.Inst.C.E., at the Hull Docks.
In 1881 he obtained the appointment of Chief Assistant Engineer under the Bombay Port Trust, and after acting on two occasions as Engineer-in-Charge, he was appointed in 1892 Chief Engineer to the Port of Bombay, retaining this position until 1898. He carried out several docks and other important improvements, was a member of the Committee on Coast Lighting, and an Examiner for Bombay University.
Returning to England in 1898, he was engaged on dock and harbour work for Sir John Wolfe Barry, Past-President, and in 1899 accepted the post of Engineer of the Bristol Docks, where he carried out much important work, notably the Royal Edward Dock at Avonmouth. He was a member of various technical societies and other bodies, and the author of several Papers and memoirs.
Mr. Squire was elected a Member of the Institution on the 7th May, 1889.