William Whiteley (1850-1901)
1851 William Whiteley 30, Master cloth dresser, employing 12 men, 3 women and 5 boys, lived in Lockwood, with Eliza Whiteley 30, Joe Booth Whiteley 6, Charles H Whiteley 3, William Whiteley 1
1861 William Whiteley 40, iron and brass founder and machine maker, employing 71 men and 32 boys, lived in Lockwood, Huddersfield with Eliza Whiteley 40, Ellen E Whiteley 18, Joe B Whiteley 16, book keeper, Charles H Whiteley 13, William Whiteley 11, Tom Whiteley 8, Arthur Whiteley 5, Fred Whiteley 2, Henry J Whiteley 1 month
1901 Obituary 
WILLIAM WHITELEY was born at Lockwood, near Huddersfield, on 18th March 1850, and was the third son of Mr. William Whiteley, founder of the firm of William Whiteley and Sons, textile machinery makers and electrical engineers, Prospect Works, Lockwood.
He was educated at King James's School, Almondbury, and afterwards at the College, Ripponden.
In 1866 he commenced his business career at his father's works in the pattern shop and drawing office.
After the death of his father, he joined his two elder brothers in partnership, and took a leading part in the conduct of the business. Among his many inventions were improvements in machines for drying, spinning, warping, sizing, and finishing wool; he also designed special labour-saving tools, and took an active part in the organisation and development of the works.
Latterly he was one of the initiators in adding the manufacture of machinery for electrical equipment.
Some years ago, in the course of a trip round the world, he witnessed the operation of sheep-shearing up country in Australia, when unfortunately some of the wool dust found its way into his bronchial passages, causing severe haemorrhage of the lungs, since which he had laboured under a weakness of that organ.
Whilst at Southport he contracted a chill, which resulted in bronchitis. Returning home to Holly Mount, Edgerton, near Huddersfield, he grew worse, and his death took place on 8th July 1901, at the ago of fifty-one.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1876.