William Whewell and Co
1837 Sale Notice: 'TO IRONFOUNDERS AND CAPITALISTS. To be DISPOSED OF by PHIVATE TREATY, all the Buildings, Steam Engine, Going Geers, Blast Cylinders, Lathes, Grinding and Glazing Wheels, Blacking Mills, Drilling Machines, Models, Tools, Utensils, and Stock in Trade of well-established IRON & BRASS FOUNDRY as now carried on by William Whewell and Co. being the only concern of the kind in Lancaster.
The Buildings, which are very substantial, and have been recently erected at a very great expense, consisting of a lofty Moulding Room, about 135 feet long by 40 feet wide; Brass Foundry, two Ware-rooms, Smiths Workshop with seven Hearths, Mechanics' Workshop, Grinding House, Engine House, Pattern-makers' Shop, Dressing Shop, Ware room for Castings, two-stalled Stable, Gig-house and commodious Sheds, and are well adapted for carrying on an extensive business.
The Premises are held on Lease from the Corporation Lancaster for 41 years, commencing on the 13th day of February, 1827, and are subject to the annual Rent of £1 19s 8d, with right of Perpetual Renewal, on payment of a small Fine. The Steam Engine is of 14-horse power, constructed on the most improved principle; has one of Samuel Hall's Patent Condensers, and is nearly new, as are also the Geers, Lathes, Machines, Tools and Utensils. This Establishment has valuable connexion in Lancaster and the neighbourhood, and in all the principal towns in this and the adjoining counties, and, from the circumstance several additional Manufactories and other Works being now in progress in Lancaster, it is presumed that the business there will be materially increased. The Proprietors are disposed to treat with Purchasers liberal terms, or to receive a Partner, who can command not less than £5000.
Further information and particulars will be readily given, upon application being made to Messrs. William Whewell and Co, Iron and Brass Founders; Mr. Robert Jackson, Solicitor; or to Messrs. Robinson and Dodson, Solicitors, all of Lancaster.'
Sources of Information
- Gore's Liverpool General Advertiser, 6 April 1837