Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,999 pages of information and 229,220 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
William Walker Campbell (1864-1924) of Campbell and Calderwood
1924 Obituary 
WILLIAM WALKER CAMPBELL, J.P., was born at Paisley in 1864, and was educated at the Grammar School, afterwards serving an apprenticeship with the firm of Bow, McLachlan and Co., of the same town.
Some years later he went to the firm of George Stephenson and Co., railway engineers and shipbuilders, and in 1889 started the firm of Campbell and Calderwood, Soho Engine Works, Paisley. Progress was made, and larger works were acquired; but in 1900 he sold out his interests and joined the firm of A. F. Craig and Co., Caledonia Engine Works, Paisley, becoming managing director.
His business with the Far East having rapidly developed, he retired from the Board, and started in business in Glasgow as an engineer and export merchant to the Dutch East Indies, particularly with Java, in association with his brother, Mr. John Campbell.
He was the Author of "Regulations relating to the construction and use of Boilers in the Dutch East Indies," and was associated with his brother in the development of the Campbell-Foster multiple effect evaporator.
Mr. Campbell entered the Corporation of Glasgow in 1912, and in 1918 became River Bailie. He was keenly interested in educational affairs, and for a time was Chairman of the Education Committee for Argyllshire. In that year he retired from the City Council, following upon his purchase of the historic Aros Castle Estate in the Island of Mull.
His death took place at the White House of Aros on 15th March 1924, at the age of sixty.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1892.