Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,103 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
William Thomas Blacklock (1815-1870)
1816 Baptised in Manchester son of John and Mary Blacklock
1861 William T Blacklock 44, paper manufacturer, lived in Pendleton with Marianne Blacklock 35, Mary Blacklock 12, Emily Blacklock 10, Joseph H Blacklock 6, William J S Blacklock 5 months and his niece Louisa Blacklock 26
1871 Obituary 
Mr. WILLIAM THOMAS BLACKLOCK, son of John Blacklock, calico-printer, of Kersal, was born in July, 1815.
At the age of fourteen he was apprenticed to the late Mr. George Bradshaw, of Manchester, engraver and letterpress-printer, to learn the art of engraving. Before he had completed his apprenticeship he was offered a share in the business by Mr. Bradshaw, and from that period, about forty years ago, the well-known firm of Bradshaw and Blacklock dates its existence.
Taking advantage of the opportunity offered by the introduction and extension of the railway system, they laid themselves out for and secured so much of the work required by the railway companies as to become popularly known as the railway printers. The merits of their 'Railway Guide and Shareholder’s Manual' are so well known to the members of the engineering profession, that no mention need here be made of the labour and exactitude with which it has always been prepared.
In 1850 Mr. Blacklock was elected a director of the East Lancashire Railway Company, and in 1859, on the amalgamation of that company with the Lancashire and Yorkshire, a director of the latter, at the board of which he held a seat until his death. Upon assuming the responsibilities connected with an efficient discharge of his duties as a railway director, he retired from the firm in which he was the active partner, but soon after, finding that his energy demanded further occupation, he entered into partnership with Mr. George M‘Corquodale, of Newton-le-Willows.
He was also a county magistrate, a borough magistrate, a commissioner of taxes, treasurer to the Manchester and Salford branch of the British and Foreign Bible Society, treasurer to the Religious Tract Society, trustee of several churches, savings’ banks, &C., and energetically exerted himself in the advancement of the education and social condition of the working classes. His death was very sudden, he being seized with apoplexy on the occasion of his youngest daughter's marriage, on the 29th of June, 1870.
Mr. Blacklock was twice married, on the second occasion to Miss Lord, of Farnworth, by whom he left two sons and two daughters.
He was elected an Associate of the Institution on the 7th of April, 1868.