Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 115342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 150,676 pages of information and 235,204 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

William Stanley Richards

From Graces Guide

William Stanley Richards (c1893-1937)


1937 Obituary [1]

WILLIAM STANLEY RICHARDS was chief engineer at the leather cloth works of Imperial Chemical Industries (Rexine), Ltd., at Hyde, Cheshire, where he was responsible for considerable extensions. He received this appointment in 1933, after five years' experience in the firm's works at Ardeer, Stevenston, and Falkirk. After serving his apprenticeship from 1906 to 1913 at Messrs. Gentle and Falconer's brass foundry, Oldham, he was engaged as a turner and fitter in the works. He was then employed by Messrs. Platt Brothers and Company, Ltd., textile machinists, in the tool room at their Oldham works.

In 1916 he joined the Caton Engineering Company, Ltd., of Lancaster, as a jig and tool designer, and two years later was placed in charge of the production department. He left in 1920 and became a full-time engineering student at the University of Manchester, where he graduated with honours in 1922. During this period he was also engaged as senior teacher of engineering subjects for evening classes at Bury Technical School.

He then joined Messrs. John Musgrave and Sons, Ltd., at the Globe Iron Works, Bolton, as chief technical assistant, and in 1924 he was appointed chief engineer of the condenser department, a position which he occupied until his association with Imperial Chemical Industries.

Mr. Richards was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1923. His death occurred at Bramhall, Cheshire, on 12th March 1937, in his forty-fourth year.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information