Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 115342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 150,676 pages of information and 235,204 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

William Stanley Hammond

From Graces Guide

William Stanley Hammond (1891-1937)


1937 Obituary [1]

Major WILLIAM STANLEY HAMMOND, O.B.E., was chief mechanical engineer to the Anglo-Nigerian Corporation and associated companies. During the last three years of his life he was in charge of one of the tin-producing areas of the Gold and Base Metal Mines of Nigeria, Ltd., and was responsible for the inception of several important dams and leats to provide water for hydraulic tin-mining.

Major Hammond was born at Walton-on-the-Naze, Essex, in 1891, and served his apprenticeship from 1906 to 1910 with Messrs. Samuel Williams and Sons, Ltd., Dagenham Docks, Essex. He then joined Messrs. Richard Garrett and Sons, Ltd., as assistant engineer at Leiston Works, Suffolk. In 1914 he joined the R.F.C. and was appointed engineer officer in 1916. He took charge of the organization of the machine shop and foundry at Farnborough, the model on which all other R.A.F. engineering establishments were based, and later he completely reorganized the Yate engine repair depot, for which work he was awarded the O.B.E. In 1923 he joined the Ebbw Vale Steel, Iron and Coal Company, taking charge of the machine shops, foundry, and welding shops; later he reorganized the works, and standardized the methods of manufacture for steelwork and colliery apparatus.

He left for Nigeria in 1927 and was appointed assistant engineer at the Anglo-Nigerian Corporation's headquarters at Jos. A year later he was promoted to be chief engineer. Major Hammond was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1933. His death occurred on 29th September 1936 during a voyage, and he was buried at sea near Madeira.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information