William Shaw (1826-1896), of Stanners Closes Steel Works, Wolsingham, near Darlington.
c.1826 Born in Durham City
1841 William Shaw 35, blacksmith, lived in Durham and Lanchester, with Ann Shaw 35, William Shaw 15, John Shaw 8, Ann Shaw 5, Thomas Shaw 1, Edward Shaw 25
1856 William Shaw, Junior, worked at Tow Lane Iron Works, Durham; he had charge of more than 20 boilers and had noticed the change in boiler plate materials after a few years use so was interested in theories as to what was happening
1871 William Shaw 44, engineer and steel manufacturer (manager), lived in Wolsingham, with Barbara Shaw 30, Elizabeth A Shaw 21, Eliza Shaw 17, Charles H Shaw 13, Lilias E Shaw 11, Margaret Shaw 10, Frances A Shaw 4, Lucie A Shaw 3, Florence A Shaw 2, William Shaw 3 months
1881 Willm. Shaw 55, manager of steel works, lived in Weardale with Barbara Shaw 40, Lillias E. Shaw 21, Frances A. Shaw 14, Lucy A. Shaw 13, Florence A. Shaw 12, Fredk. T. Shaw 6, Edith B. Shaw 5, Walter A. Shaw 4, Sarah E. Shaw 3, John A. Shaw 2
c.1890 Started his own steel foundry in Middlesbrough, W. Shaw Kirtley and Co., Wellington Cast Steel Foundry, Middlesbrough, which became W. Shaw and Co
1891 William Shaw 65, engineer and steel manufacturer, employer, lived in Middlesbrough with Barbara Shaw 51, Lucy A Shaw 23, Florence A Shaw 22, William Shaw 20, Henry A Shaw 18, Frederick T Shaw 17, Edith B Shaw 15, Walter A Shaw 14, Sarah E Shaw 13, John A Shaw 12, Edwin A Shaw 9
1896 Died in Guisborough age 70.
1896 Obituary 
WILLIAM SHAW died on June 29, 1896, at the age of seventy years. He was one of the pioneers of the introduction of steel castings, and established a considerable business in them.
He was for many years manager of Attwood's Steel-works, Wolsingham, where he practically worked out the Attwood process of steel-making. Some ten years ago he became connected with the Cast Steel Foundry at Middlesbrough, and shortly afterwards started the Wellington Cast Steel Foundry there, which he worked very successfully, executing considerable orders in his speciality for the Admiralty. He was a member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, and was elected a member of the Iron and Steel Institute in 1872.