William Pole Routh (1848-1931)
of 25 Rua she S. Francisco, Oporto, Portugal : (or care of Cyril E. Routh, St. Michael's House, Cornhill, London, E.G.)
1931 Obituary 
WILLIAM POLE ROUTH was born at Tilehurst, Berks, in 1848, and commenced his apprenticeship in 1866 with Messrs. Beyer, Peacock and Company of Manchester.
He afterwards went to Bristol where he successfully bored for coal at a depth of about 800 feet, and in 1875 he was appointed engineer to a large firm of shippers, and went to Oporto, Portugal, to undertake the construction of extensive wine stores. He erected the first steam cooperage in Portugal.
Mr. Routh subsequently set up practice as a consulting engineer in Oporto, where he remained for sixteen years. He carried out a number of important engineering works, which included the survey of the River Douro for a distance of ninety miles from the sea with the object of a system of cable towage, several extensive buildings, irrigation and sewage works, and a sugar refinery.
Mr. Routh retired in 1897, but continued his interest in engineering in various ways and was a director of the Reading Electric Supply Company until his death, which occurred on 4th July 1931.
He had been a Member of the Institution since 1878, and he was an Associate Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers.