Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,963 pages of information and 228,875 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1890 of the Works of the Ant and Bee, West Gorton, Manchester - See Thomas Adams
1931 Obituary 
WILLIAM LOCKHART BONE, whose death took place on 30th November 1931, at his home in Manchester, served his apprenticeship on the Clyde, and after gaining further experience at Newcastle, went to the Ant and Bee Works of Thomas Adams, West Gorton, Manchester, maker of the well-known Adams valve.
On the death of Mr. Adams he purchased the business from the executors, and continued as proprietor until his retirement a few years ago.
Up to the time of his death Mr. Bone was chairman of directors of Messrs. Emmott and Company, the proprietors of the Mechanical World and Engineering Record, the Textile Manufacturer, and allied publications, and had served the company as a director for the last thirty-six years.
He was 77 years of age and had been a Member of the Institution since 1884.
"The Late Mr. W. L. Bone.— We regret to have to record the death of Mr. William Lockhart Bone, which took place on November 30 at his home, 16, Plymouth-grove, Manchester, at the age of 77. Mr. Bone received his engineering training on the Clyde, and subsequently proceeded to Manchester to take up the management of the Ant and Bee Works, on behalf of Mr. Thomas Adams, maker of the Adams valve. On the death of Mr. Adams, he purchased the business from the executors and continued as proprietor until a few years ago, when he retired. For the past 36 years Mr. Bone had been a director of Messrs. Emmott and Company, Limited, 65, King-street, Manchester, the proprietors of the Mechanical World and Engineering Record, the Textile Manufacturer and other publications, and at the time of his death was chairman of the company. Mr. Bone was elected a member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers in 1884."