William Johnson Hinde
William Johnson Hinde (-1949)
1950 Obituary 
"WILLIAM JOHNSON HINDE, who was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1912, was closely concerned with the manufacture of gas and oil engines throughout his professional career. He served his apprenticeship with Messrs. R. Hornsby and Sons, Ltd., of Grantham, from 1889 to 1893, and during this period attended classes held in that town by the Central Technical College, South Kensington. He was then employed as a tester and oil engine expert by Messrs. Hornsby and Son until 1901, when he was made head foreman of the erecting shop.
On the conclusion of a short engagement with Messrs. Dodman and Company, engineers, of King's Lynn, he joined, in 1908, the firm of Messrs. John Robson and Company, Ltd., makers of gas and oil engines, of Shipley, Yorks, and began a connection, which lasted to the end of his active career. After a brief period as designer and expert he was appointed works manager, and held this position until his retirement on account of ill health in 1930. Mr. Hinde's death occurred on 8th February 1949."