Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,426 pages of information and 211,652 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
William John Thomas (1875-1936)
1936 Obituary 
WILLIAM JOHN THOMAS was a consulting engineer and marine surveyor, with offices in Swansea and Cardiff. He acted as surveyor for the North of England Protection Society, the Salvage Association, German underwriters, and a large number of shipowners. In addition his advice was frequently sought as an arbitrator.
Mr. Thomas was born in Swansea in 1875 and served his apprenticeship from 1890 to 1896 with Messrs. Mordey, Carney and Company, Ltd., at the Central Engineering Works, Cardiff.
Two years later he became engineer-in-charge at Cardiff Corporation power station and held this appointment until 1906.
He then came to London as district station superintendent for the London County Council Tramways and in 1912 was appointed superintendent of electrical substations. He was engaged during 1916-17 on factory and plant design for the High Explosives Department of the Ministry of Munitions, then housed in the Institution building, after which he became assistant inspector of munitions areas, with headquarters at Swansea, and later inspector of munitions for West Wales.
After the War he established his consulting engineering business, in which he was engaged until his death, which took place on 6th July 1936.
He was elected to Associate Membership of the Institution in 1918.