Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 125,771 pages of information and 196,576 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
William Inglis (1856-1908)
1909 Obituary 
WILLIAM INGLIS was born at Perth on the 15th October, 1856, and was educated at Burntisland and at Edinburgh Royal High School He served his engineering apprenticeship on the staff of the North British Railway Company at Edinburgh, commencing in October, 1872, under the late Mr. James Bell, then engineer-in- chief to the Company.
In February, 1882, Mr. Inglis was appointed maintenance engineer of the Northern Division of the North British system, which embraced all the company's lines north of the Forth. During the completion of the Arbroath and Montrose Railway and the reconstruction of the bridge over the River South Esk at Montrose, Mr. Inglis was brought into close contact with Sir William (then Mr.) Arrol, and when the latter secured the contract for the construction of the second Tay Viaduct in 1882, he appointed Mr. Inglis his resident engineer, a position which he ably filled until the completion of that great undertaking in 1887.
Mr. Inglis subsequently acted in a similar capacity for Sir William Arrol on the Forth Bridge Connecting Lines which run from the south end of the bridge to the Edinburgh and Glasgow Line of the North British Railway at Corstorphine on the east and at Winchburgh on the west.
He also superintended the construction of the road bridge across the Tay at Caputh.
In 1891 Mr. Inglis accepted a partnership in the well-known firm of Messrs. William Bain and Company, Lochrin Iron Works, Coatbridge, and took an active part in the direction of the business until his death.
In addition to his arduous professional labours, he devoted much time to local affairs. He was a bailie of the town of Airdrie, an active member of Broomknoll United Free Church, and was associated with various friendly and benefit societies established in the interests of the working-men of Airdrie and the district.
Mr. Inglis died at his residence, Rosedale, Airdrie, on the 18th May, 1908, leaving a widow, three sons and five daughters.
He was elected an Associate Member of The Institution on the 1st February, 1881.