William Hopper (1816-1885)
1886 Obituary 
WILLIAM HOPPER was born at Penicuick near Edinburgh on 22nd June 1816, and at the age of fifteen was apprenticed as a millwright to Mr. Trotter, Broomhouse Paper Mills, Berwickshire, serving his apprenticeship both there and at Kelso.
In 1842 he went to Mr. Benjamin Hick, Bolton, by whom he was sent in June 1843 to Russia, where he undertook first the erection of the gearing in a cotton-mill then being built near St. Petersburg by Messrs. Egerton Hubbard and Co.
He next went to Moscow, and performed the same service at Mazourin's mill, and subsequently at Lepeshtern's.
In 1847, on the completion of the latter mill, he entered into partnership with Mr. Wrigley, and started a foundry in connection with a small weaving-mill.
In 1867 he acquired the whole concern, and thenceforth carried it on prosperously on his own account, assisted latterly by his sons. The works were gradually extended until at one time they employed 450 men.
His death took place in Moscow on 23rd April 1885, at the ago of sixty-eight, after a long illness consequent upon a chill caught in travelling.
He became a Member of the Institution in 1867.