Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,850 pages of information and 228,791 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
William Henry Johnson (c1850-1914) of Richard Johnson, Clapham and Morris
c1882 Birth of son William Morton Johnson
1883 Birth of son Alan Douglas Johnson.
Birth of son Ronald Lindsey Johnson
Birth of son Arthur Laurence Johnson
1901 Living at Woodleigh, Woodgate Road, Dunham Massey, Cheshire: William H. Johnson (age 51 born Manchester), Managing Director of Iron, Metal and Electrical Co - Employer. With his wife Agnes M. Johnson (age 49 born Cheltenham) and their four children; Gladys M. Johnson (age 20 born Bowdon); Lorna A. Johnson (age 20 born Bowdon), Student Girton College, Cambridge; William M. Johnson (age 19 born Bowdon); Undergraduate Trinity College; and Enid M. Johnson (age 9 born Altrincham). Two visitors. Eight Servants.
Two of his sons died in the war - William Morton Johnson in 1916 and Ronald Lindsey Johnson in 1917. William was technically in charge of the business from 1914-1916 and Ronald for the year between his brother’s death and his own. Ronald left his estate to the RJCM workers to be spent in a way that their families could enjoy, so after the war his surviving brothers bought a chunk of land from the Broadhurst estate to be used as a leisure facility for the factory workers’ families. They called part of it the Ronald Johnson Playing Fields and it is now where the FC United Stadium is. Arthur Laurence Johnson took over the family business.
1914 Obituary 
WILLIAM HENRY JOHNSON died at his residence, Woodleigh, Altrincham, on February 19, 1914, in his 65th year. Than Mr. Johnson there was no one more closely connected with the Institute of Metals, of which he was a founder member and a Vice-President.
It was in the Manchester offices of his firm, Messrs. Richard Johnson, Clapham & Morris, Limited, of which he was managing director, that, in February 1908, there was held a meeting of copper manufacturers, brassfounders, shipbuilders, engineers, and others interested in non-ferrous metallurgy, at which it was resolved to take the necessary steps to form a "Copper and Brass Institute." After several further meetings, convened jointly by Mr. Johnson and Professor Carpenter, acting as Honorary Secretaries of the embryo Institute, it was realized that the scope of the institute should not be limited to copper and brass. Hence, it was formally resolved at a meeting held in June 1908, at the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, London, under the chairmanship of the late Sir William White, that an institute, to be called the Institute of Metals, be formed.
Since that time up to a few weeks before his death Mr. Johnson was actively concerned with the welfare and progress of the Institute, and his loss is sadly felt by his colleagues.
Apart from his close connection with the Institute of Metals' Mr. Johnson had many other interests. Thus he was a governor of the Manchester Grammar School, and president of the Mill Girls' Institute, Ancoats.
It was chiefly due to his influence and to his desire for better surroundings for his workpeople, that his firm in 1902 established a large new works at Newton Heath. At the same time he privately purchased eight acres of land as a recreation ground for the workers. He was a generous supporter of Captain Scott's expedition to the South Pole, and entertained the explorer at Woodleigh.
Among the few hobbies he permitted himself were yachting and gardening. He was for over forty years a member of the Manchester Literary and Philosophical Society, to which, in earlier years, he contributed papers. Mr. Johnson was educated in Germany and at University College, London, where he took a first-class honours degree in science. Afterwards he joined his uncle, Mr. Richard Johnson, with whom his father, Mr. William Johnson, of Bowdon, had been in partnership, and later entered the firm of which he became the head and which he served so well for nearly half a century.