William Henry Cave (1863-1913)
1913 Obituary 
WILLIAM HENRY CAVE was born at Dover on 30th September 1863.
He was educated at Providence, Rhode Island, U.S.A., and subsequently at the Bolton Grammar School, the Church Institute, and the Mechanics' Institute, Bolton.
In 1881 he began an apprenticeship of four years with Messrs. Hick, Hargreaves and Co., engineers, of Bolton, and on its completion remained with the firm until 1887, when he was appointed to take charge of the Springfield Paper Mills, Bolton.
Three years later be became superintendent engineer to Messrs. G. Knowles and Sons, Peel Mills, Bolton, in whose employ he remained until 1893, when he went to Russia as chief engineer to the Pereslavlsky Manufactory, Pereslavl, a firm employing 3,000 hands. He remained in that position for nine years, and returned to England in 1902.
In the following year he was engaged as superintendent engineer at Messrs. Clark and Co.'s Anchor Thread Mills, Paisley, where he supervised the carrying out of many of his own inventions. His inventions, some of which were carried out when he was in Russia, comprised improvements to water-gauge fixings, forced draught for furnaces, textile machinery, etc.
His death took place at his residence in Paisley on 12th October 1913, at the age of fifty.