Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,121 pages of information and 227,783 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
William Hayden Gates (1857-1903)
1903 Obituary 
WILLIAM HAYDEN GATES, born on the 12th May, 1857, was the son of Mr. James Hayden Gates, Surveyor to the Parish of Tooting.
After being educated at Durham House School, Clapham Common, he became a pupil of the late Mr. James Atkinson Longridge in 1872.
In 1877, after being employed for a few months on the East and West Junction Railway, he entered the service of the late Charles Liddell, under whom he was engaged first on the construction of the Stratford, Evesham and Redditch Railway, and subsequently as Chief of the Drawing-Office. He superintended for Mr.Liddell the widening of the tunnel of the Metropolitan Railway from Baker Street to Swiss Cottage in 1880 ; the laying out and construction of the Charnwood Forest Railway in 1881-83; and the construction of the Metropolitan Railway extensions from Harrow to Rickmansworth, Chesham and Aylesbury in 1883-90.
In March, 1890, Mr. Gates left Mr. Liddell and entered the service of the Metropolitan Railway Company as assistant to J. J. Hanbury, then Resident Engineer to the Company, and in December, 1891, he was appointed Superintendent of the Permanent Way, Stations and Signals Departments, and afterwards Resident Engineer, which post he held until his death at Charnwood, Willesden Green, on the 30th June, 1903.
Mr. Gates was elected an Associate Member of the Institution on the 5th December, 1882, and was transferred to the class of Members on the 6th April, 1807.