Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,894 pages of information and 228,796 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
William Fraser (1853-1900)
1902 Obituary 
WILLIAM FRASER, born on the 7th March, 1853, at Clunes, Inverness-shire, served a pupilage in the office of Mr. Paterson, Engineer to the Highland Railway Company, from March, 1868, to October, 1869.
Then followed a period of ten years in the service of the Ordnance Survey Department, after which Mr. Fraser became in 1879 Assistant Engineer and Surveyor to Mr. Adams, of Moss Side, Manchester.
From September, 1880, to May, 1882, he was specially engaged for the Wallasey Local Board, in surveying, levelling, roadmaking and sewering, and from May, 1882, to September, 1887, he acted as Assistant to Mr. William Hunt, Chief Engineer to the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Company in surveying, levelling, setting out new works, superintending construction, and in measuring up and preparing plans and working drawings for new works, chie0y for the new Exchange Station and Viaduct, at Liverpool.
In 1887 Mr. Fraser was appointed Engineer and Surveyor to the Newmarket Union Rural Sanitary Authority, for which body he constructed the Chevely Waterworks, made plans for an extension of the workhouse, designed a scheme for the sewerage of part of the Parish of Exning, and made plans and partly constructed an Infectious Diseases Hospital. That post he held until October, 1888, when he became Engineer and Surveyor to the Cardiff Union Rural Sanitary Authority, subsequently known as the Llandaff and Dinas Powis Rural District Council. In the latter capacity he carried out the drainage of Morganstown, the extension of the Dinas Powis Waterworks, the sewerage of the Parish of Whitchurch, and several smaller works. By special permission he was allowed, during the last two years, to act also as Consulting Engineer to the Rhymney Urban District Council.
Mr. Fraser died in November, 1900.
He was elected an Associate Member of the Institution on the 1st April, 1890.