William Firth (Company)
of Water Lane, Leeds.(1914)
of Greek Street Chambers, Leeds, Iron and Steel Merchants and Contractors' Plant and Machinery Merchants (1914)
1823 Established by George Firth, iron merchants, serving the collieries and later the railways.
1863 The business became Frederick Firth and William Firth
1878 The business became William Firth, under William Firth (1835-1892)
1892 William died; the business was run by the Executors of William Firth.
1898 Incorporated as a Limited Company.
1898 Advert: rails.
1926 They removed their offices from Greek Street Chambers, Leeds, to larger premises with stores and yard attached, known as Cavendish Road Works.
Sources of Information
- The Engineer 1926/04/02
- The Times, 4 November 1964