Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 149,270 pages of information and 234,239 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

William Cleland

From Graces Guide

(Redirected from William E. Cleland)
Jump to: navigation, search

William E. Cleland (c1862-1933), managing director of the Sheffield Testing Works

1933 Obituary [1]

WILLIAM E. CLELAND died suddenly on July 13, 1933, at the age of seventy-one.

He served his engineering apprenticeship with Messrs. Murray and Patterson, of Coatbridge, and continued his education at South Kensington and Glasgow Universities, where he had gained scholarships. For three years he was a demonstrator in engineering at the Yorkshire College.

In 1889 he was invited to take over the management of the Sheffield Testing Works, Ltd.; subsequently he became managing director.

He was a member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, the Institute of Metals and the American Society for Testing Materials.

He joined the Iron and Steel Institute in 1910.

1934 Obituary [2]

WILLIAM CLELAND was a director and general manager of the Sheffield Testing Works, with which firm he had been connected for forty-five years.

He was a native of Coatbridge and served a three years' apprenticeship with Messrs. Murray and Patterson, Coatbridge.

He then obtained an exhibition for three years at the University of Glasgow, where he studied under Sir William Thomson (Lord Kelvin) and obtained a Thomson Scholarship.

From 1883 to 1886 he worked in the physical laboratory at the University of Glasgow and was then appointed demonstrator in the newly opened engineering laboratories of the Yorkshire College, Leeds.

In 1889 he was appointed manager of the Sheffield Testing Works, and later was made general manager and a director of the firm.

His death occurred on 12th July 1933, in his seventy-first year.

He had been a Member of the Institution since 1890.

See Also


Sources of Information