Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,030 pages of information and 213,093 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

William Bernard Godfrey

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

William Bernard Godfrey (c1854-1922) of J. and E. Hall

of 54 Regent's Park Road, Regent's Park, London, N.W.


1922 Obituary [1]

WILLIAM BERNARD GODFREY, whose death took place on 27th July 1922, at Hindhead, at the age of sixty-eight, was educated at Winchester College and served his apprenticeship with Messrs. Quick and Son.

In 1876 and 1877 he was assistant engineer in the construction of the first steam tramways in Paris, and from 1878 to 1880 was erecting for the Lontin Electric Light Co. some of the first public electric lighting installations in London, notably at the old Gaiety Theatre and Her Majesty's Opera House, and Aldersgate Street Station.

In 1881 he became a partner with Mr. Everard Hesketh in the old established engineering works of J. and E. Hall at Dartford, and they developed the business of makers of refrigerating machinery and were engaged from its earliest days in the fitting out of ships for the importation of frozen meat.

In 1888 the late Mr. Alexander Marcet joined the firm and, after much experimenting, they developed the CO2 refrigerating machine into the practical machine as it exists to-day.

At the formation of the present Company in 1900 Mr. Godfrey continued as Director in charge of the financial department and took part in the inauguration and developments of the manufacture of commercial motor vehicles.

He retired in 1910. He became a Member of this Institution in 1880; he was also a Member of the Institutions of Civil and Electrical Engineers.


1922 Obituary [2]

WILLIAM BERNARD GODFREY, whose death took place on the 27th July, 1922, at Hindhead at the age of 68, was the youngest son of Joseph Sylvester Godfrey of the Middle Temple and was educated at Winchester College.

After serving his apprenticeship with Messrs. Quick and Son, he acted in 1876 and 1877 as assistant engineer in the construction of the first steam tramways in Paris, and from 1878 to 1880. was engaged in the erection for the Lontin Electric Light Company of some of the first public electric lighting installations in London, notably at the old Gaiety Theatre and Her Majesty's Opera House and Aldersgate-street Station.

In 1881 he became a partner with Mr. Everard Hesketh in the very old established engineering works of Messrs J. & E. Hall, Ltd., at Dartford. The firm specialized in the manufacture of refrigerating machinery and was engaged from the earliest days of such installations in the fitting out of ships for the importation of frozen meat.

In 1888 the late Mr. Alexander Marcet joined the firm and after much experimenting the CO2 refrigerating' machine was developed into the practical machine as it exists to-day. When the present company was formed in 1900 Mr. Godfrey continued to serve as Director in charge of the financial department and took part in the inauguration and developments of the manufacture of commercial motor vehicles. He retired in 1910.

He was elected an Associate of the Institution in 1879, and became a Member in 1880.


1922 Obituary [3]

"The refrigerating machinery industry loses, by the death of William Bernard Godfrey, which took place on July 27th, at Hindhead, one of those who took a prominent part in its early development. He was the youngest son of the late Mr. Joseph Sylvester Godfrey, of the Middle Temple, was educated at Winchester College, and served his apprenticeship with Quick and Son. In 1876 and 1877 ho was assistant engineer in the construction of the first steam tramways in Paris, and from 1878 to 1880 was erecting for the Lontin Electric Light Co some of the first public electric lighting installations in London, notably at the old Gaiety Theatre and the Opera House.

In 1881 Mr. Godfrey became a partner with Mr. Everard Hesketh in the works of J. and E. Hall at Hartford, and together they developed an important business us makers of refrigerating machinery, and were engaged from the earliest days of the industry in fitting out ships for the importation of frozen meat. In 1888 the late Mr. Alexander Marcet joined the firm, and after much experimenting they developed the CO2 refrigerating machine into the practical machine ns it exists to-day. At the formation of the present company in 1900 Mr. Godfrey continued as director in charge of the financial department until his retirement in 1910. He also took part in the more recent developments of the commercial motor vehicle side of the works.

Mr. Godfrey was a member of the Institutions of Civil, Mechanical and Electrical Engineers."


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information