Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,963 pages of information and 228,875 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Also known as Halfpenny Bridge.
This is a lattice girder pedestrian bridge crossing the River Avon immediately south of Bath Spa Station. It was built in 1877 by Westwood, Baillie and Co to the design of T. E. M. Marsh, replacing a bowstring bridge which collapsed with fatal consequences on 6 June of that year.
The present bridge utilises the abutments of the previous bridge. The south pier is marked with various flood levels, including some dated as early as 1866, the era of the old bridge. The original bridge, and the surviving former toll house, were built in 1863-3. The original bridge was designed by Hicks & Isaacs.