Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,106 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Water-powered mills were established on the site in the 1760s by Thomas Boulsover. At times, these were run as separate business, at Whiteley Wood Forge, and at Whiteley Wood rolling mills. The rolling mills are considered here, but more information about some of the owners and/or occupiers may be found under Whiteley Wood Forge.
1794 Reference to a rolling mill (water powered), the proprietors being named as Thompson & Co.
After 1804, following bankruptcy of Anthony Thompson, the owner was recorded as Mitchell Wreaks and Co, also known as Mitchell & Co, makers of saws, scythes, and edge tools
1826 Two overshot water wheels recorded, both 34' 6" dia, 4' 3.5" wide. A 10 ft head of water allowed 9 hours works per day, but in dry weather only about 22 hours per week could be worked.
1832 Works put up for sale
1855 Reported as unoccupied
The last owner before demolition was John Hutton, and the last long term occupant was Charles Ramsden (see C. Ramsden and Co. Demolition probably took place in 1875-6
An account of the site and its occupants, together with maps and several illustrations, is given in the source document for the information presented above