From Graces Guide
Wheal Prosper (SX 573794) was an old tin working that was anything but prosperous. The mine was managed by Rowse and was working in 1790 when a small amount of tin was produced. It is situated in an isolated moorland valley up the Walkham Valley. Remains of a gert, filled in shafts, a wheel pit and a stamping floor are all present in this lonely secluded part of the moor.
1812 Richard Trevithick installed the first plunger-pole engine here with a diameter of 16 inches and a stroke of 8 feet. There were two boilers 3 feet diameter and 40 inches long externally fired. It was erected by Samuel Grose. 
Sources of Information
- Richard Trevithick by H. W. Dickinson and Arthur Titley. Published 1934