Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,370 pages of information and 230,032 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Wey and Arun Canal was a 23-mile-long canal with 26 locks.
Ran from the River Wey at Shalford, Surrey, to the River Arun at Pallingham, West Sussex.
1787 The northern part of the Arun Navigation was opened, between Pallingham and Newbridge Wharf.
1790 A diversion took the Navigation through a tunnel at Hardham.
1811 Josias Jessop was appointed consulting engineer to provide a link between the Wey and the Arun.
1813 An Act of Parliament was passed, authorised the construction of the Wey and Arun Junction Canal from the Godalming Navigation (an extension of the River Wey) to the northern terminus of the Arun Navigation at Newbridge. The canal was 18.5 miles long and had 23 locks.
1816 the Wey and Arun Junction Canal was opened.
1871 The canal was abandoned.
1888 The last commercial traffic on the section between Pallingham and Newbridge.
1889 Hardham tunnel was closed.
Office at The Granary, Flitchfold Farm, Loxwood, West Sussex, RH14 0RH. For more details see their website.